Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Confessions of a farm girl

I could sit here and tell you that I am a farming guru, that I can tell how successful a season is going to be just by watching which way the birds fly.  I could tell you that I know precisely which seeds to sow to produce the most hardy vegetables.
And I'd be a big fat liar.
The truth is that my passion for these things far exceeds my knowledge.  I have the basics down, dig hole, drop seeds, cover hole and water, but the truth is that I am finding that there is  much more to this life than I really ever knew.   Not only do you have to have proper depth of the hole, proper spacing between rows..you have to plan on the hoards of bunnies that are going to eat your sprouts while you sleep.  Oh, these cute furry little creatures seem docile and adorable, but they are really ninja killers in fur.  Just ask my lillies....or whats left of em anyway.  And if you manage to get rid of thumper, you have to watch for the ground squirrells.  Again, cute and unassuming, but stealthy and garden killing at the same time.  So, my father in law tilled up a patch of ground for my garden.  Its pretty good sized and I have many many tastey plans for it.  I'm going to plant spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, bush beans, squash, zucchinni, melons, cillantro and peach trees.  Its just all a matter of when and where now.  I'm also about to be the proud owner of about 6 chickens.  I have these visions of chickens chasing me through the yard, but its ok.
My problem is that I have so many things I want to do, so many "good" ideas...and I just don't know where to start.  And that's just on the outside of the house.  Walk through my front door and you will see half finished, half started and somewhere in between projects that all seem like fabulous ideas.  A splash of color here, a shelf to be hung there.  I am so scatterbrained but I have this grand plan that I want to see come to fruition...I just cant finish it because I have too many things going at once.  And then there's Bryce.  Just when I think I'm making headway, that nap I thought he was taking turned out to be the 15 minute powernap.  Ever tried painting a wall with a three month old in your arm?  It doesn't go well. Then theres supper to get on the table, laundry that has to be done, plants that have to be watered and a yard that needs to be mowed.  I need more hours of daylight and I need to grow about...4 more hands.  More later....suppers boiling over.

1 comment: